Popular Articles


EMPLOYEES – If you fall sick or you are injured when you are on annual leave (including unwell because you have been diagnosed with COVID-19), you are entitled to use your accrued paid personal leave entitlements instead of your annual leave balance.

To do this, you will need to take the same steps that you are required to take when you take personal (sick) leave. At a minimum, this will require you to notify your employer as soon as possible that you are unwell and the expected duration of paid personal leave. Your employer may require you to provide a medical certificate evidencing that you had a personal illness or personal injury.

Keep this in mind – if you are unwell because you been diagnosed with COVID-19 and you are isolating at home, you will be able to arrange a tele-health appointment with a doctor to obtain a medical certificate that you can use to support your personal leave request.

Need more help on understanding your entitlements? We are happy to assist. Contact us at

This article is prepared to only provide general information about the topic. It is not intended to be used as advice in any way.